Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Emerald Island

Kodiak Island has a nickname - the Emerald Island - for its greenery. Of course the green doesn't really show up until the summertime, after most of the snow has melted. This year it has been an extended winter. Here it is May, and it's still cold. There was one day of sun while I was there, and one can see the beauty of the island. Here is one of the little isles that is part of Kodiak Island. It's easily seen from the living room of the B&B where I usually stay, but this view is from the road on the way in to work.

Lagoonside Inn is the name of the B&B and is aptly named for it sits next to Brooks Lagoon. The lagoon is frequented by many birds throughout the year. This trip I learned a new word, and it's a type of duck that was prevalent during my stay this time. The word is Merganser, a type of duck. This particular one is the red-breasted merganser. I think I kept saying the word too much that John, the proprietor of the in was getting sick of it - I was the only one staying there this time.

And what's a trip to Kodiak without a icture of some large animal on the road. It's either a cow or a buffalo. This trip the buffaloes stayed off the road while the cows roamed the pavement. This particular mama cow was with her calf and I wasn't going to challenge her. I put the car in park, turned the engine off and put my hazard lights on just in case a car approached me from behind. The cow and her calf finally moved after a few minutes and I went on my merry way back to the inn. Check out the surf action on the ocean in the background. There were storms going thru the island during my visit.

The storms did not stop the construction that was going on, however, as this picture shows. This brave girl, working as a flagger, was there most of the day in strong winds (30 to 50 mph!!), temps in the mid 30s (not accounting for wind chill) and it was also raining with some snow thrown in the mix. At least the bulldozer operators had some protection from the weather, plus they were sitting down. Thanks to these brave workers the roads were in somewhat good conditions, with no potholes the size of a VW Beetle. Some year they will finish paving the road all the way to the launch site. Only about 8 more miles to go.

No comments: