Friday, June 6, 2008

Photo contest


The City of Ventura is having an online photo contest. People can visit the following site and vote on any or all of the pictures:
http://www.cityofventura.net/community_services/cultural_affairs/public_visual_arts/photocontest/
This is one of my entries. The max number of entries was five. If you're interested in checking out the pics, go ahead. maybe you will think my pics are good enough. I do have a complaint about a lot of the pictures. The entries were supposed to be about Ventura, things about it whether man-made or natural, its people, and its environment. However, some of the people entered any picture just because it looks good. It may have been taken in Ventura, but they aren't recognizably Ventura. there's a picture of a couple of birds in flight - very good picture, but two birds in mid-air does not say Ventura to me.

Oh well, enough kvetching. I had jury duty a couple of days this week. The first day was spent mostly sitting in the jury assembly room, or pacing or walking around the HOJ - Hall of Justice!!! My friend Tracy had the day off so she was able to pick me up and go to Snapper Jack's for lunch. At 330 Tuesday afternoon, I was called as part of a group of about 60 to go to a courtroom. We went in and then I got called as potential juror #12. The judge briefly discussed what the case was about, and that it would take about 4 days. We got dismissed and told to report back the following day.

On Wednesday the jury selection process began and we were asked questions. After a couple hours of questions, I was excused via peremptory challenge by the defending attorney. I was about the 8th person excused from the original panel. Guess my statement "I work as a range safety engineer for the Navy in Point Mugu" struck fear in the defending attorney's heart since the case was a DUI. Drinking and then driving kinda violates a lot of safety principles, so I was out of there. Luckily I didn;t get kicked out until around lunch time so I was able to join up with another friend, Trish, who is at the governement center on Wednesdays volunteering. We walked on over to Acapulco's, walking thru the tunnel under Victoria. Haven't walked in that tunnel in a long time and it probably be a while until I walk in that tunnel again.

No comments: