Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I get paid to be here

Have I ever mentioned I love my job? Where else can I get paid to go to Kauai for work once or twice, if not more, per year? This time around, I am out for RIMPAC, a big exercise that takes place off the coast of Kauai every two years. Flew out on Monday to support things on Tuesday, a dress rehearsal for things on Wednesday. But then the Wednesday events got cancelled which meant the Tuesday dress was off too. I went in to work on Tuesday any ways just to get my badge and make sure nothing new got added. My luck, nothing 'til Friday!!!

Today I took a tour of some movie locations on Kauai. Saw some sights I had seen before and some I had never seen. Went in to Coco Palms where a few Elvis movies were filmed. I have to watch those movies again, they are way too funny. The highlight was we went to where they filmed some scenes from Jurassic Park. Here I am standing in front of where the big entrance to Jurassic Park was located. It's located deep in the Alakai Swamp, near the base of Mount Wai'ale'ale, the wettest spot on the planet. Yeah, I don't mind being a tourist once in a rare while.

I will go in to work tomorrow despite no ops where I am needed. Gonna work with some of the Corona folks who read TM, so we can get a game plan for the shots on Friday and Monday. I've worked with them in the past and things should flow smoothly, but it never hurts for one to be prepared. Especially when one is a little guilty of getting a paid vacation in paradise.

No comments: