http://www.chabad.org/holidays/JewishNewYear/template_cdo/aid/4762/jewish/In-a-Nutshell.htm
(some day I will figure out how to add a hyperlink in my blogs. Give me credit I figured out how embed video)

I remember celebrating the Jewish holidays when going to high school as more than half of the teachers were Jewish and probably the same percentage of the student body was too, although during the holidays it seemed that 80 % became Jewish. The first Jewish holiday in the 10th grade, I noticed that my sister wasn't around. She took the day off without telling me. I asked her about it and she told me it was something I had to learn. Anyone can get a religious holiday excuse for the day if they want. She did not have to tell me twice - Yom Kippur is ten days after Rosh Hashanah and I took that off. So Happy New Year to my Jewish friends, and in honour of "dad", God bless his soul, I will symbolically blow the shofar, as well as spell honour with a "U".
Today is also the last day of the US government's fiscal year and it somehow permeated the mood at work. I don't think we meant to do it but it had a Friday feel to it, and we were somehow silly and goofy and sometimes loud. We picked on projects that we felt had less than stellar employees, as well as how things got done in Safety-Land in the "center of excellence". Boy we had fun with that one, but we always do. This past fiscal year we noticed that there were only 30 days in which we had everyone in the branch - minus the branch head as he usually resides in the "center of excellence" - in the office the very same day. 30 days out of I think 223 working days - this is my quick approximation as to the total number of work days. That is a little under 14%!!! Guess we travel a lot or take lots of leave or both. We'll see what happens the next FY which starts tomorrow. We won't have a full office until next week at the earliest.

No comments:
Post a Comment