Today marks the 546th month that I have been on this world. It's a pretty big number but it is something of which I am thankful for the blessing of living 45 and a half years. I pray that I have quite a few more months, a few hundred more is what I hope, to live in this world. I know that I haven't made the most of all of my time here but it's not too late to start to make something of my life. We all think of what our legacy would be, but that usually happens after the end. The end of life or the end of being in a position of importance.
Just got thinking this way as today is also the day when our country celebrates the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. A man who I didn't know much about, other than he was one of the leaders of the civil rights movement that was many, many years in the making but hit its stride in the 1960s. Many know of his "I Have A Dream" speech in August 28, 1963. I was 40 days old at the time and was living far, far away from Washington D.C. Over 8500 miles! The first time I heard of this man was shortly after my family moved from the Philippines to Los Angeles.
I was in sixth grade then, the year was 1974. My elementary school didn't have many black students there as the neighborhood was mostly Hispanic, Asian and Caucasian. Junior high was mostly the same and not until senior high school was there a large African American population. In an ironic twist the high school was Fairfax High, located in the mostly Jewish district of Fairfax near West Hollywood. It turns out my high school was one of the first in the LAUSD to integrate, in the early 1970s. Imagine, a school in LA had to integrate, with the very diverse population that lives in LA. But because of an earthquake that damaged LA High School, a lot of students were bused in to Fairfax. From what I read there wasn't any riots or protests against it, but it did make some people uncomfortable. A history teacher/basketball coach, who was Jewish, welcomed the new students with open arms and made smooth the transition for everyone.
By the time I got to Fairfax I didn't notice anything strange or different about the student population, it just seemed normal. The only thing that puzzled me was how many students were absent the first time there was a Jewish holiday - I didn't think there were that many Jewish students there. Even my sister was not in school! Turns out that most of the teachers were gone too so it might as well have been a holiday for everyone. Needless to say I celebrated the Jewish holidays after that one. Mr. Biegel, the teacher/coach was there and he was one of the favorite teachers in the school. I never took any of his classes but he was always welcoming and cheerful to all. "Biegel here" was his standard greeting on the school intercom whenever he had an announcement. I can't believe that it has been over 27 years since I graduated from Fairfax.
Fast forward to January 19, 2008, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, and the day before the inauguration of the 44th president of the country. I am sure that MLK is smiling upon our country as he sees it getting ready to welcome an African American to the White House. I may not have voted for Barack Obama but I am so proud to be an American. The struggle and fight that was so prevalent in our country just over 45 years ago and is still going on has torn down another barrier. I have been blessed to not have known these struggles that many have faced, but it is because of it that I don't have to face much of it. Because of it I was able to become a citizen of this country. Because of it I have been able to have a voice and vote. I do pray for our next president, that he is able to lead us out of the economic crisis we're in, that he is able to lead and govern with wisdom. I may not agree with a lot of his politics but I will pray for him. For we are a free country, free to have differing opinions, free to worship as we want to, and may that freedom continue. "Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty, we are free at last".
Monday, January 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment