Monday, March 3, 2008

Lift Your Gaze … See Anew!

This past weekend was the 2008 Religious Education Congress down at Anaheim and the theme was “Lift Your Gaze…See Anew!” It’s a reminder to try and get rid of whatever may be clouding our vision and to look up and see God …again. It went well with the Gospel reading (John 9:1-41) for yesterday, where Jesus opens the eyes of a man blind from birth. As a result the man starts believing. Too often we get blinded by the things of this world that we forget or set aside God. I started going to this conference almost 10 years ago when I was involved with Confirmation class, and even though I am no longer involved in teaching, I go to Congress for spiritual renewal and growth.

Two of the workshops I attended were on the Eucharist, and as it turns out, they were both on a letter (or more formally called a “Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation”) by Pope Benedict XVI called Sacramentum Caritatis, or the Sacrament Of Charity”. When I signed up for the workshop it wasn’t clear that the talks were going to be on the same thing, but it was actually good that I signed up for it as each speaker spoke on the same subject from different perspective, giving me a broader background on the document. They both did speak on, or better yet, reminded me of the beauty of the Eucharist which brings about a change meant to set off a process - a sort of “nuclear fission” - leading to the transfiguration of the entire world to the point where God will be all in all (quoting from the document here, and not my words as I am not this smart).

Some of the highlights from this Congress, other than the workshops, are the Masses I attended. Friday evening I went to a Jazz liturgy presided by Father Tony Ricard, who was as engaging as ever. Saturday was reserved for the Young Adult Mass while Sunday was the General liturgy at the arena. I was able to help out on Sunday as a Eucharistic Minister for the Precious Blood, which always leaves me humbled and blessed at the same time.

On a social aspect, I was able to meet up with many friends this weekend. Thursday morning, I drove down to L.A. to drive my mom around while shopping - going to Costco weekday morning is much easier than going any other time - and we had lunch. I then went down to Long Beach to meet up with GB and Bren and grab some sushi for dinner. Friday night dinner was at Rainforest Café and it was with Lucia and Jen Horan (who were also in the OC for Congress) and Ron DV, while Saturday I met up Michelle P and her hubby Mike at the Jazz Kitchen. I missed out on going to their wedding last summer because of a work trip, and this was the first opportunity I had to get together with them since. Here’s a picture of me with them - yes, I am wearing a Mickey T-shirt, after all I am in Anaheim. Overall, this weekend was yet another of the countless blessings I get from God for which I am thankful.

No comments: